The moment you wake up in the morning is an extraordinary time.
It’s your best chance to choose what kind of day you’re going to have.
In those first few minutes of wakefulness, you have a unique opportunity to set the tone for the day ahead. You get to set your intention and establish your overall vibration for the entire day.
It’s one of the most potent and powerful times of your entire human journey. And it happens every single day.
Over the last two years I’ve become increasingly aware of the thoughts I think first thing in the morning. When I think about simple things I appreciate… my pillow, my bed, my home… I usually have a really good day.
However, if my first thoughts are about all the tasks on my list or about something that’s bothering me, I tend to have a challenging, tiring day.
It’s very simple. There’s a direct correlation between your first few thoughts of the day and the levels of joy, satisfaction and ease you experience that day.
When you awaken from sleep state, that first minute or two is critical. From my first-hand experience, I can highly recommend the following tips before you think or do anything else:
- Keep your eyes closed.
- Focus on something you can easily appreciate, and think about why you appreciate it.
- Then, think about something else you can easily appreciate and why you do.
- Do your best to generate sincere feelings of appreciation about simple thongs for a minute or two.
Try it for a week and post your experience in the comments. I’d love to hear from you!
And here are a few advanced tips:
- Focus on simple things you appreciate easily (your pillow, a pet).
- Avoid any subject that stirs mixed emotions (relationships, money).
- After this two-minute process, get out of bed and do your morning meditation.
With a little practice, you’ll be able to create a new habit that not only feels good, it can dramatically improve your quality of life.