As the calendar year winds down to its inevitable close, it’s the perfect time to look back on the previous 12 months through the lens of appreciation.
Why? Because nothing else has the power to manifest more good things in your life than a serious session of appreciation.
So, take a short break from the end-of-year madness and review your year. It doesn’t need to be a big project. Grab a pen and paper and just do it.
Using the simple outline below, it took me only 25 minutes to review my year and feel pretty darn good about it.
It’s easy to get started. Here’s how.
- Open up your calendar or diary or whatever you used to keep track of your activities during the year.
- Begin by thinking about the past week. Write down all the positive things (large and small) that have happened in your life over the last seven days.
- Now, think back over the last 3-4 weeks. What positive things transpired in your life? What did you create, accomplish or complete? What situations or issues did you resolve? What abundances did you experience?
- OK, now look back over the rest of your year one month at a time and write down answers to the same questions posed in #3.
- As you’re doing your month-by-month review, make a general list of items that spanned more than one month. List any positive developments or accomplishments related to your career, hobbies, relationships, knowledge, skills, creative endeavors, and new understandings about your life.
Here are some other areas you can ponder (and be sure to write down your responses).
- Make a list of all the new sources of guidance and inspiration you acquired in 2015. It may be in the form of books, online courses, spirit guides, podcasts, blogs or new websites you discovered this year.
- What new experiences do you appreciate having in 2015?
- How are you a different person than you were 12 months ago? What’s changed, even slightly? How are you thinking or acting differently?
Pondering the past year can stir up all sorts of thoughts and emotions. You can easily get sidetracked. That’s why it’s so important to WRITE THINGS DOWN. Make lists. Don’t worry about spelling or penmanship.
And if you’re thinking about typing, don’t. The act of writing is a very different—and more beneficial—experience than typing on a keyboard.
And here’s another tip. Keep it 100% positive. Don’t allow yourself to spiral into thinking about all the things you didn’t enjoy or didn’t accomplish this year. You do enough of that anyway. This is a time to focus on the highlights and most positive aspects of your most recent 12-month cycle.
Finally, once you’ve reviewed the entire year and written out your lists, do a short prayer of appreciation. From your heart sincerely thank whomever you feel like thanking—your higher self, your spirit guides and angels, the Universe, your family, Mother Goddess, Source Energy, the All That Is.
Don’t hold back. You want to ooze appreciation.
Twelve months represents thousands of waking hours and millions of thoughts and emotions. When you distill all that experience into it’s most positive elements and then feel genuine appreciation about that experience, you send a powerful vibration out into the Universe. The energy you emanate immediately begins to manifest a positive tomorrow and next week and next year for you.
It’s a true act of self-love. And it takes less than 30 minutes.
Was 2015 a good year? Only you can choose it to be so.